Back and Neck Pain
80% of the population will suffer from back pain at some time.
Studies show that osteopathic treatment reduces back pain, increases mobility and speeds the recovery process*.
Your osteopath can assist you to develop the course of action consistent with your lifestyle, symptoms and goals to manage your back and neck pain.
Your osteopath may:
- work on joint mobility
- work on muscular tension, inflammation and nerve irritation
- investigate blood supply and drainage to and from the spine and pelvis
- reduce the duration of low back pain and help prevent future episodes
- offer advice on posture, exercises and stretching
- provide advice on improving your ergonomic environment
- provide guidance on diet, hydration and exercise
- communicate and plan treatmnet with your GP
- refer you for radiological assessment when required
- provide care funded by workers compensation schemes and traffic accident shemes.
Osteopaths can be visited without a referral from a GP and are trained to know the difference between uncomplicated back pain and back pain requiring referral to specialist care. In some cases there may be a more serious cause for low back pain such as disc injury, fracture, tumour and infection, which requires ongoing specialist support.
Common causes of back and neck pain:
- extensive sitting or standing
- heavy lifting
- changes during pregnancy
- constipation, irritable bowel
- menstrual pain
- insufficient flexibility
- muscle weakness
- dysfunction in the thorax, lower limbs and pelvis.
Information obtained from http://www.osteopathy.org.au/
We do not warrant or represent that the information in this site is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for your intended use. We recommend that you seek individual advice before acting on any information in this site. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on our website is correct at the time of publication but recommend that you exercise your own skill and care with respect to its use. If you wish to purchase our services, please do not rely solely on the information in this website.